Thursday, November 19, 2015

when the south meets the north

Thursday, November 19, 2015
It’s more than a week since I came home from Baguio, and I am still high from the things I have done. I stayed about 4 days and 3 nights which was my usual, for a vacation that was supposed to be no work, no play, ended up me being sick even more, losing my voice, and doing a shoot in the process. In what was supposedly to be my time for healing, which I came off from a slight fever, I ended up pushing my body to its breaking point and I am not complaining - I had fun.

Jermaine Dermot, The Asylum: City of Pines Tour 
I never intended to do a photo shoot in Baguio, period. I never intended that I will be hosting a small photo shoot that lasted for two days, period. My vacation was really meant just enjoying the scenery, the food, the travel but ended up to directing an experience that would be memorable as a photographer and my times of travel. How this all began, was simply my mere curiosity with the Baguio Cosplay Community – bumping to them on a vacation last March, made me wonder how it was nice to meet them and know them. I did my research, try to know how many the
y were, and I was not really much successful. Now, I had the opportunity I posted a small ad, after my birthday, in a group that I join in Facebook, which was to look for a bunch of cosplayers who may be interested in joining me to do a small shoot in an abandoned cabin in Baguio, this ad which led me to joining a bigger group that I have sought and been longing for.  It was suggested to me to try posting the ad to the community, so I did, and whoa, overwhelming responses.  In the span of few days, I got what more I have bargained for, for a day intended pushed me for two days by public demand.

I had to cut my vacation time, really to just one day, which I ended up sulking in bed for not feeling well, but it was all worth it. The day thereafter was crunch time, It was my third or fourth time to direct a shoot, to teach people how to pose and what sort of things I want to happen – delivered through – and this Baguio Cosplay Community was more than what I expected.

It’s really weird on how we take things for granted and how much we take advantage of every opportunity – but meeting the community made me open my eyes to what could be the biggest potential that the Cosplay community of Manila should be aware about. One of which is that these community never had big events – they don’t have backings of big Otaku Events, or organizers to create something that these people should rave. They have two events per year versus Manila having a calendar filled with fun activities. The events are just simply joining the flower parade every February and some lucky event in the nearby mall. Some of the people would travel 4 to 6 hours just to attend an event and not stay long – and that’s just sad.


Another is the community is huge for I had 100+ people invited to my FB Event Invite, I lost count to how many responded to my ad, and I was told there are more. With this massive community, there should be something or out there would take interest in hosting an activity – more so take opportunity that Baguio is one of the places of the next big thing. They have awesome scenery, places to do shoot, from the lakes of Burnham Park, to the city vibe of Session Road, to the vast Bell Tower and it is one whole city of a Fantasy Quest.  There are so many things I want to rave about my time for the community, and so much so as to rant about something but I may discuss it some other time, as how I will piece that ranting. Overall, I had really so much fun meeting people – and the hospitality I got, was a blessing to my vacation, more so I miss them already. Baguio was deemed like another home to me, and this reassures me going back every time. The smiling faces, the laughs, the fist bumps, and the hugs, is something that always replay in my mind. I got more than what I bargained for, what something never intended, for I thought it was just those vacations, shoot and go – lead to a learning experience. I learned, curiosity is a good thing – to try something new is good, because you never what it will lead you, it may lead you to something fun. 

No comments:

The Asylum Photography © 2014