Sunday, April 10, 2016

travel up for beer and shots

Sunday, April 10, 2016
The City of Baguio is a highly urbanized city located in the province of Benguet in northern Luzon island of the Philippines. Baguio City was established by the Americans as a hill station in 1900 at the site of an Ibaloi village known as Kafagway. The Americans declared Baguio the "Summer Capital of the Philippines" on July 1, 1903. Every year between March and June, the entire American government transferred operations Baguio to escape Manila's summer heat, a practice abolished in 1913. Several years later, Baguio is being flocked by locals, and foreigners, who look for a decent getaway from the rising temperature; it was made haven to many Koreans, learning English at a place that almost feels like home. The kind smiles, the hospitality, never eluded Baguio – and the charm, of its cool climate never fazes me. I grew up to this city, in a sense that every Summer Vacation, after school my family and I would spend at least a week or two just to spend time in the mountains. The fog, the chilly air, and smell of pine trees, almost felt like a quiet retreat from the chaos, the hustle and bustle that is home, is all I could remember – several years, now that I’m much older, a lot has changed – traffic, and development gearing and progressing to what is Baguio now. Once scarred from a major earthquake in the 90s, Baguio tries to reclaim itself, be a better form to what it was then – and slowly becoming a populous city – similar back home.

Robin Balisi, City of Pines Tour
Season 2
Nothing has changed between me and Baguio, there is always that chilly air, but the cold and fog has been long gone, unless there is long periods of rains and the Ber Months comes in, it doesn’t turn me off to what it is now, though there are hints of nostalgia each time I pass the winding roads, or the chaotic streets of Session, naught has slowed me from coming back up and up.It was that the first weekend of April, Easter Sunday, I opened my shutters to host the City of Pines Tour, dubbed Season 2 because it’s the second time for me to host this event. I invited cosplayers, photographers around the city to take part of, to be held in the Botanical Garden. I would never expect how much a turnout of an event would be – I had my impressions to a small scale crowd, but the end it was bigger than what I imagined. A capacity of more than 30 ore more people showed up, majority were familiar faces, or people who didn’t make it to the first season. I pretty began the shoot quite late, just for people to catch on, it took me a while to getting to meet new people again, and there are names, still didn’t register, but I do hope to see them again when I go back up. I ended up pretty much on a high note, despite being sick again with a chronic cough, I am pretty much thankful the local community who wants me to do an event for them, and my promise to them is always delivering them. It’s my way of thanking or paying back the kindness that these kids provided, and the tokens (e.g. stuffed frog which keeps me company beside my bed), I am ever all so grateful.

Lagud and Keywheat, Baguio Craft Brewery
I pretty much stayed in Baguio for 4 days and 3 nights, as my partner had to go early the following day the after my shoot. So to cap that Easter, we tried something I have been reading through websites, that filled my curiosity when I first read about a year ago or so, To be frank, Baguio do have love for strawberries, they even have a festival for it, also the fruit is known to be produced in that area because of the cool climate which is suitable. Look I have tasted strawberries, it come fresh and as good it can be, I have pretty much tasted the fruit, a smoothie, the ice cream the jam, the wine and taho of it – of all, that tops it the famous strawberry beer of the North, known as Lagud.Lagud crafted by Chief Executioner, Chris Ordas, at the Baguio Craft Brewery (Located at 120 Marcos Highway), only in Baguio can you taste beer made from strawberries. Not your flavored beer, something new to me and crazy was made from this fruit. Prior to going here was a hard find, feeling lost, we just trusted the cab driver, and our eyes to find the Brewery, and all the travel was worth it. A small quiet bar, with a feel of an old inn, the cold chill of the mountains greeted us, not much a crowd, since I guess it was pretty the end of the day, a lot has possibly gone home back to the south, but then it was inviting and cozy. We decided to sit by the bar, because I would guess my hearing would be bad if in case there would be a ruckus. Our decision was not so dead wrong, it was worth it. Aside, from the famous Lagud, there were more to many of the concoctions of this Thirst Prevention Officer, from different levels alcohol content, to the how bitter it could be, the raw ingredients and its possible equivalent from Stouts to Pale ales, every man and beer aficionado would love to be there.

All I can say, the barkeeps know their stuff, ask them and they would gladly explain to what to expect and so forth. They even let you give a free sample to help you choose what you want, and that this is damn unlimited, you could try them all for a mini shot of a beer mug, to make your tongue feel what is to expect. I ran my tongue to three samples, until I decided on what I want, as my partner did pretty much the same. We grew fond seeing how the beer freshly poured in front of you from its hand crafted taps, all the awe, like a child in a candy factory. What lead to several conversations of trying and figuring I got settled on my favorite is Lagud, as my partner found solace to Keywheat (Kiwi Beer), it just draw us inspired to push our venture (a project we have been working on in the South), even more. More so, our love for food caught the attention of a freelance writer and photographer, who sat beside us and thus the conversation lead to whatever or wherever, and the beer would guide us. Deep heart to our conversations lead us to meeting the owner himself, Chris Ordas and his chef, who we shared our marketing, and possibility of branching, all I can say it was meaningful focal group discussion and invite to an event to showcase his beer here in Manila. And what made our night was a promising deal of a partnership to what me and my partner has been working on. I have never ever been more thankful. Bottom line: Baguio Craft Brewery (can be found in Facebook, Instagram), is a perfect place to bring your date, the food is indeed something really carefully paired to what you drink, and they never went wrong. I could attest to the Onion Rings we both ate that night.
Baguio Craft Brewery

As our night faded, memories are still well kept, when I left what my second home was, my denial of coming back to reality was hard to bear. I still wanted to stay, but I need to get paid, so that we keep coming back for more.

No comments:

The Asylum Photography © 2014