Sunday, May 17, 2020

Featured Cosplayer:Suika

Sunday, May 17, 2020
1) How long have you been cosplaying? Hello I'm Suika and I am a cosplayer. I've been cosplaying since 2017 but it wasn't until last year that I started going to cosplay conventions.
2) What kind of cosplayer do you consider yourself? As a cosplayer I consider myself as a normal girl who loves watching anime and cosplay.
3) Cosplay or Crossplay? Both? I really appreciate both. I think they're both fun and challenging. So far, the type of characters that I usually cosplay is what they call bishoujo or female characters. But recently, I've realize that I also wanted to try crossdress. Actually I was already preparing for it, after the ECQ (Enhanced Community Quarantine) I will be cosplaying Dazai Osamu from the anime series --- Bongou Stray Dogs.
4) Why do you cosplay?  I cosplay because I love anime. And part of it is the desire to portray the characters that I like. So I cosplay for the sake of my own fulfilment. It is something I really wanted to do. And in enjoying what I do, I also at the same time make people happy.
5) Is cosplay a hobby you could see yourself doing in 10 years? ABSOLUTELY, YES. Cosplay becomes an integral part of me now. Kidding aside, cosplay saved me from the depth of my despair about life. This may sound reaaaally really emotional, but yeah. That's a fact. HAHAHA
6) If someone told you they hated your cosplay, what would you do? I will humbly accept it. After all, we have our own standards of beauty. Instead of being resentful about their negative comments, I will try my very best to look at it with silver linings to further improve and develop my skills in terms of cosplay.
7) If someone told you they loved your cosplay, what would you do? Being appreciated is already a significant milestone for me as a cosplayer. I think it is not just me, but I think a lot of cosplayer out there also feels the same way. Thus, in my own little ways, I sincerely thank them right way. My deepest gratitude belongs to those who supports me in my cosplay journey.
8) Homemade Cosplay or Bought/Commissioned Cosplay? I usually buy or avail made-to-order costumes since I don't have knowledge and skills in sewing yet. However, I really want to make my own costume so I could really say I dedicated my whole in my future cosplays. If it wasn't for Covid-19, I think I am attending tailoring class right now because I was really planning to study tailoring this summer so that I could acquire proper knowledge and skills in sewing so I could make my own costume. Aside from emotional fulfilment, I think learning how to make my own costume would be very practical.
9) There is a lot of debate if Western/Asians should cosplay. Your thoughts? I hate any form of discrimination. I think passion is something that is universal. Therefore, anyone can aspire to realize their dreams. For me, cosplay is not about the "WHO" but rather it is about the "WHY". We must aim to become the person who would inspire others to aspire instead of dragging them down. 
10) Do you prefer to work alone or with others? Both. I haven't tried collaborating with others yet but I think working with others would be very fun and challenging. Aside from that, I think it is very beneficial in developing your skills and confidence as a cosplayer. Working alone and working with others are both fun in unique ways.
11) Do you have a current cosplay fav? Hmm yes. Ruby from Mobile Legends is my favorite.
12) What is your most expensive cosplay project? Ruby from ML is the most expensive cosplay project I've ever had.
13) What is your least expensive cosplay project? Hmm, it's Haruhi Suzumiya.
14) What is your favorite cosplay project? It's Ruby. The reason behind is that, from planning to preparation up to the day of the event where I cosplayed Ruby, everything seems like a roller coaster ride.
15) What is a cosplay pet peeve of yours? Contact lenses! I swear, I am really reaaaally scared of putting them on  and taking them off as well HAHAHA. The first time I ever wear contact lenses was on my Nezuko cosplay which is my most recent cosplay.
16) If you could cosplay anywhere in the world, where would it be? Japan and Vietnam. I really want to experience Japan. Vietnam because I want to meet my new found friends there, Nhi and Tan. They are also cosplayers but we haven't met in person yet. But hopefully I could meet them someday and go to events together.
17) What was your first convention? It's Anigaiden 2019. Most memorable.
18) What was your last convention? Cosmatsuri 2019. I really had fun.
19) What is your next convention? Hopefully, Anigaiden 2020. Looking forward to it.
20) What is your favorite part of putting on your cosplay? Everything! 
21) What is your least favorite part? Hmmm I think, none.
22)  Videos or photography? BOTH. I would like to have fun both ways.
23) Photoshopped or Unshopped images? Photoshopped. But I haven't tried Photoshopped yet. Lightroom saves the day.??
24) How do you view yourself as a cosplayer? As a cosplayer, I am still an amateur in the field of cosplay. With that, I see myself as someone who needs to learn and improve more, specifically in doing make up and crafting my own costume.
25) What is cosplay to you? For me cosplay is such a very positive thing that I do out of love. It is my passion and lifeline. I am really thankful for cosplay for giving me so many good experiences and memories. And most importantly, things to look forward in life.
26) For costuming, there is also a huge debate about who and what can cosplay. Your thoughts? Cosplay is a form of Art. As an art it should be liberated from censorship and the artist decides what to express
27) Do you have cosplays that are sometimes painful or uncomfortable? Are you willing to bleed for your art? If so, how much? So, who and what to cosplay is something a cosplayer should decide. Hence, daring cosplays is a form of expression and not a consent to being judged or disrespected.
28) Yaoi or Yuri in cosplay? Yaoi, I guess.


29) How far into the character are you willing to go while in cosplay? At the end of the day, are you "YOU" or are you your "CHARACTER"? This is a very challenging question. Honestly, I am really having a hard time to portray the way how the characters I cosplay act because I am really shy hahaha (so this is also one of the things I need to improve). So yeah, at the end of the day, I am me.
30) Wigs or no wigs? Do you prefer to style your wigs, commission a style or buy them prestyled? Wigs. It is hard to find prestyled wigs so whenever I buy wigs they aren't styled yet so I cut the bangs on my own and style them. It's kinda easy to style wigs for female characters but since I am going to do crossdress in the my next cosplay, styling wigs for male character would be very very challenging. I am hoping to learn how to style them too.
31) Contacts or no contacts? No contact lenses. Why? Because it really frightened me to insert them on my eyes! HAHAHA. But I really really want to wear them (I hope I can cope my fears of wearing them hahaha) because I believe it would help me make my cosplay more accurate.
32) How do you save money for your cosplay hobby?  I have IGPs (income generating projects) and it includes selling artsy stuffs during art fairs, like clay art, bookmarks, stickers, calligraphy, etc (you can also like and follow my fb page @watermelonlovesyou for artsy finds😊). Another igp is that I make my costumes available for rent for other cosplayers who might want to rent a costume. And I also save money from my monthly salary. And sometimes my very supportive mother, she sometimes contribute to my cosplay needs in exchange of good cosplay pictures that she asked me to give her (hahaha yea ur right, she's my top fan).
33) When do you find yourself cosplaying? Is it something you stick with for conventions and events only? I seldom do costrials maybe because I am a busy person. So usually I do cosplay only in events/conventions. But oh, I remember something. I have friends who are also cosplayers, we used to have videocall on messenger while wearing make up and costume. So yah I think I also do cosplay even outside events hehe.
34) Where do you go most often for photoshoots? Do you do photoshoots? I haven't been into a photoshoot. I only got the chance to take pictures during events. I sincerely thank the photographers in the event, because of them I have decent pictures of my cosplay for free. You can check their works on their facebook page The Worm Photography and Optical Shot Media. Kindly support them too.
35) What got you into cosplaying?  So what got me into cosplay? It's my passion. It feels like it is something that I really wanted to do. Also, when someone asked to take a photo with my cosplay, for the first time ever, it really made me happy seeing them happy with my cosplay and that moment inspired me to cosplay more characters in the future.

Facebook | Instragram | Instagram2 | Tiktok

No comments:

The Asylum Photography © 2014