Sunday, April 19, 2020

Featured Coslayer: Nina

Sunday, April 19, 2020

1) How long have you been cosplaying? I started my very first cosplay around 2011. But I wasn't very active in the community that time.
2) What kind of cosplayer do you consider yourself? A bit of a perfectionist, especially when it comes to makeup and costume accuracy. I'd like to give the characters I cosplay (some) justice.
3) Cosplay or Crossplay? Both? Cosplay. I haven't crossplayed haha
4) Why do you cosplay? Back in high school it was because my senpais in my club would tell me I should start doing so because I look like an anime (no specific character was mentioned). Today, I do so because I enjoy creating makeup looks and dressing up.
5) Is cosplay a hobby you could see yourself doing in 10 years? I'm not really sure. It's been 9 years since I started; if 10 years from 2020, I probably won't be cosplaying as much anymore.
6) If someone told you they hated your cosplay, what would you do? Well, I'm curious as to why. No one told me that yet. So I guess I'd ask what was wrong with my cosplay and accept it as feedback or constructive criticism, if they're willing to give a respectful answer.
7) If someone told you they loved your cosplay, what would you do? Online and offline, I'd thank them. Maybe ask for some pictures too if this happens in a convention.
8) Homemade Cosplay or Bought/Commissioned Cosplay? Bought/commissioned cosplay. I find it more cost-effective and it saves me time. I could just alter the bought costumes to suit my taste. 
9) There is a lot of debate if Western/Asians should cosplay) Your thoughts? People can cosplay whoever they want. I guess the debate goes like "Westerners shouldn't cosplay anime (Asians) because they don't have the features". But it's 2020, technology can remedy this. Makeup prosthetics are already available so people could alter the way they look. Why should one discriminate because of another's unique features?
10) Do you prefer to work alone or with others? I prefer to work with others, but with a small group.
11) Do you have a current cosplay fav? Still my Kousaka Kirino cosplay haha best gurllll...
12) What is your most expensive cosplay project? I think it was my Morgiana from Magi cosplay. The wig I bought for it was expensive, and looking for a good kind of cloth for her dress was also hectic. Her props were also costly.
13) What is your least expensive cosplay project? A2. This was purely for fun and I gathered up pieces I could upcycle to I could make the costume.
14) What is your favorite cosplay project? Minun gijinka. My friend and I went on a Divisoria shopping trip so we could go with a Plusle and Minun gijinka and everything was done on time for the convention.
15) What is a cosplay pet peeve of yours? Wardrobe malfunction uuggghh. Also wigs with really long bangs.
16) If you could cosplay anywhere in the world, where would it be? I'd like to go to Japan and visit a high school there, because most of my cosplays are middle to high schooler characters. It would suit the setting perfectly.
17) What was your first convention? Best of Anime 2013? hahaha I still wasn't that active in the community.
18) What was your last convention? Does Quarancon 2020 count? If not, it's Cosplay Matsuri 2019.
19) What is your next convention? Supposedly Cosplay Carnival 2020.
20) What is your favorite part of putting on your cosplay? Makeup! I get to experiment how to do looks and use colors in my palette I rarely get to use on a daily basis.
21) What is your least favorite part? Using long wigs. It's hectic to take care of long wigs.
22)  Videos or photography? Photography.
23) Photoshopped or Unshopped images? Photoshopped
24) How do you view yourself as a cosplayer? Hopefully someone who gives justice to all the characters I cosplay.
25) What is cosplay to you? I suck at art, but this plus makeup is probably the only artistic thing or skill I have. Cosplay is like my version of fanart.
26) For costuming, there is also a huge debate about who and what can cosplay) Your thoughts? If you're confident with showing skin, go ahead. If you prefer to wear cute yet conservative outfits, go ahead. Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable.
27) Do you have cosplays that are sometimes painful or uncomfortable? Are you willing to bleed for your art? If so, how much? Yes, and it's often because of wearing heels or wearing contact lenses the whole day. Yeah, I'm willing to spend much on this, but within bounds of reason hahaha.
28) Yaoi or Yuri in cosplay? Yaoi. This is just preference right? Haha I don't crossplay.
29) How far into the character are you willing to go while in cosplay? At the end of the day, are you "YOU" or are you your "CHARACTER"? I'm still me. The cosplay is just an act. Same way as actors are different from their characters.
30) Wigs or no wigs? Do you prefer to style your wigs, commission a style or buy them prestyled? Wigs. I prefer them prestyled so it saves me time, but it's so difficult to acquire prestyled wigs so I style them on my own.
31) Contacts or no contacts? Contacts. It helps you achieve more anime-like eyes.
32) How do you save money for your cosplay hobby? Buy second-hand and re-style or alter them. It's cost-efficient that way. I also opt to go for wig and costume trades.
33) When do you find yourself cosplaying? Is it something you stick with for conventions and events only? Usually a day before a photoshoot or an event, I would have a costrial. So, yes, it's dependent on events.
34) Where do you go most often for photoshoots? Do you do photoshoots? Around Metro Manila. I mostly often go to UPD and Wildlife QC because it's convenient.
35) What got you into cosplaying? The influence of my senpais and love for anime.


Special Credits to: arkadymac / Allineus Productions

No comments:

The Asylum Photography © 2014