Friday, April 10, 2020

Featured Cosplayer: Ellune Cosplay

Friday, April 10, 2020
1) How long have you been cosplaying? Generally 7 years in total, I stopped for 3 years when I was busy with work.

2) What kind of cosplayer do you consider yourself?  I used to be a closet cosplayer, meaning I only cosplay at home and in front of close friends. Recently years I have been attending cons.

3) Cosplay or Crossplay? Both? I crossplay recently too. So far I have 2 crossplays (Shuu and Kaneki)

4) Why do you cosplay?  Cosplay is a means for me to let go. I love anime so much and whenever I can relate to a character, I feel like I wanna cosplay them. By being them it is like an escape from the mundane and stress.

5) Is cosplay a hobby you could see yourself doing in 10 years?  Yes, cosplay for me is really not about age. You can be 50 and still cosplay. It’s all about the fun and feeling.

6) If someone told you they hated your cosplay, what would you do? Tbh, it would hurt, but I’d ignore them. You can’t please everyone all the time. But my goal in cosplaying is for myself and the characters I am portraying.

7) If someone told you they loved your cosplay, what would you do? When someone appreciates the cosplay I’ve done, I would thank them immediately! I always think what I can do for them. And the best answer I can come up with is to give them my best all the time.

8) Homemade Cosplay or Bought/Commissioned Cosplay? Homemade except for the wigs. I sew and make my own props now (exception when I was younger and didn’t have my own sewing machine i.e. my old asuna cosplay)

9) There is a lot of debate if Western/Asians should cosplay. Your thoughts? I think we shouldn’t discriminate. Cosplay is for everyone. Why don’t we just support them.

10) Do you prefer to work alone or with others? I am an introvert, so I usually work alone.. but I don’t mind working with others if needed.

11) Do you have a current cosplay fav? Current fave is my Shuu Tsukiyama because I was able to pass as a dude/guy in people’s eyes.

12) What is your most expensive cosplay project?  Most expensive is Touka Kirishima of Tokyo Ghoul when I joined a contest. I made her wings from a metal net, equipped with LED lights and a motorcycle battery (because there weren’t battery powered lights a few years ago).

13) What is your least expensive cosplay project? Least expensive is Eto Yoshimura. I sew the costume myself and re used my sclera lens from Touka/Kaneki.

14) What is your favorite cosplay project? Favorite cosplay project is Mikasa Ackerman because I had to make the complicated omni-directional mobility gear. Had to use a lot of my imagination and creativity in order to achieve it!

15) What is a cosplay pet peeve of yours? Pet peeve? How should I say... Wigs. I am very particular when getting the perfect hair color of a character.

16) If you could cosplay anywhere in the world, where would it be? I would LOVE to cosplay in Japan!!

17) What was your first convention? Tanabata Festival (Baguio)

18) What was your last convention?  Pangasinan Cyber Expo

19) What is your next convention?  Cosplay Conquest (Iloilo)

20) What is your favorite part of putting on your cosplay?  Wigs

21) What is your least favorite part?  Contact lenses

22) Videos or photography?  Photography

23) Photoshopped or Unshopped images?  Depends, I like photoshopped backgrounds. But if we can find a great spot, no need. One of the hardest parts of cosplay photography is the location.

24) How do you view yourself as a cosplayer? same as Q2

25) What is cosplay to you? same as Q4

26) For costuming, there is also a huge debate about who and what can cosplay. Your thoughts? I feel we should be free in what we want to cosplay. Remember it’s all about the “play” as Stan Lee had said.

27) Do you have cosplays that are sometimes painful or uncomfortable? Are you willing to bleed for your art? If so,  how much? Yes! It is always tiring to wear contact lenses the entire day (I have astigmatism), but I believe in hard work and sacrifice to achieve perfection! I’m willing to do anything if I can perfect my cosplay.

28) Yaoi or Yuri in cosplay?  Both but I wanna try Yaoi since I crossplay.

29) How far into the character are you willing to go while in cosplay? At the end of the day, are you "YOU" or are you your "CHARACTER"? That is a good question. Whenever I cosplay a character, I rehearse them like an actor would. I believe one of the ways to achieve a good cosplay is to learn and act to be like them. I used to cosplay characters whom I can relate to, but recently I am challenging myself to try different personalities.

30) Wigs or no wigs? Do you prefer to style your wigs, commission a style or buy them prestyled? Yes to wigs! I buy my wigs, new or second hand, and style them if needed. In the old days though, wigs are hard to come by and we used our real hair to cosplay.

31) Contacts or no contacts? CONTACTS - yes. Even if it hurts I’ll still wear them.

32) How do you save money for your cosplay hobby? I buy second hand wigs. And shop in ukay-ukay (thrift shops) for clothes and remodel / remake them. Same goes with shoes. I only spend if I have extra money. So I set aside a little of my salary a month to pay for my hobby.

33) When do you find yourself cosplaying? Is it something you stick with for conventions and events only? I usually just cosplay at home, but sometimes when I feel like it I attend cons, especially if I have friends going.

34) Where do you go most often for photoshoots? Do you do photoshoots?  I take my own photos most of the time. Or have my bf take them for me. I only tried a photoshoot once.

35) What got you into cosplaying? It all started with Akazukin Chacha when I was a kid. I wanted so much to be liked her, I asked my grandma to make her costume

Instagram   | Facebook 

Special Credits to Lunar Photography PH

No comments:

The Asylum Photography © 2014