Saturday, April 18, 2015

it just gets better

Saturday, April 18, 2015
A friend recently posted on her Facebook wall, the Thai Film, "It Gets Better", reckons it's good movie, a comedy and tragedy of the third sex, that she tells everyone to watch. When I heard about this, I can't help but be curious to go up to my laptop and tried to check out all the torrent sites that I know and try to download myself a bootleg copy of it - I ended up watching via YouTube, and caught myself immersed to a life, full of color - and can't help but remember my past.

Basically, it's a film that tells 3 stories, and how it slowly intertwines each other into one large tale - From a son dancing off to his dead mother's clothes, caught by his father and was sent to exile to a Buddhist monastery in hopes that will straighten his ways; A story of a post-op transsexual, visiting a province, with a shady past; And, a son goes home from abroad to visit his late dad's lady boy cabaret bar, in making the biggest decision of his life, to continue the legacy of his father, or end up closing the bar for the money.

To begin with, this movie isn't for everybody - the reason why I watched it in the first place, is how I remember my two relationships - I had who were transgenders, one lasted for more than 4 years and the other just for 9 months. The other reason why I watched it, is that I am a sucker for unconventional love stories, that's why I dig movies like What Dreams May Come, If I Stay, The Vow, My Sassy Girl and Miracle in Cell No. 37. When I meant the movie isn't for everybody - it's because It's all about the third sex, if you are homophobic, and all you can think Brokeback Mountain moments is the most horrible thing you've seen, and Boys Don't Cry made you cringe, then this is not for you. It's a movie meant for the open minded, to people who believe or see love has no borders, to fathers and sons trying to find acceptance and to people who just are as crazy as I am who enjoy watching movies that make you feel vulnerable and see humanity at it's purest.

It Gets Better, 2012
After going through an hour and forty minutes, seeing how these stories, mold itself - I enjoyed watching it because the story is simple, where scenes doesn't distract ones eye, and the dialogue is not over exaggerated - the story itself doesn't fill with impossibility but could happen to any one, one can immerse and feel one's shoes, it will drive you to feel confused as they were, to question your own existence as they did, to go and empathize. After watching it, feels like you've gone to a whirlwind of emotion - it shows how finally transgenders are not meant always portrayed for comic relief, this movies shows that they are human beings, and they don't deserve labels, that they bleed like we do and from a guy's point of view things become more clearer.

So to wrap things up, of good color and good story, I like the twists and turns on how these became one good solid movie, I even learned that this movie was released on Valentine's Day 2012.  So Must I feel this Good for this flick - Definite a Heart warmer for this Summer Season, 4.5 out of 5.

No comments:

The Asylum Photography © 2014