Sunday, April 12, 2015

going up from down under...

Sunday, April 12, 2015
When Kathy Kenny Ngo of Life is Kulayful, invited me and to do a food review of the Tasting Menu for Potts Point Cafe at the SM Mall of Asia, the grand opening of their 2nd branch, I was in a treat to try something new, fresh - and "Show me the tofu!!!", which was all in my mind.

Organic Food by all which is something foreign to me, and I must admit I am comfortable and accustomed to the ways of something processed, and pre-made - and when I hear the word organic, I immediately think something vegan.

But thankfully Google, defines it as simply that - "Farmers are not allowed to use synthetic pesticides, bioengineered genes (GMOs), petroleum-based fertilizers, and sewage sludge-based fertilizers. Organic livestock must have access to the outdoors and be given organic feed. They may not be given antibiotics, growth hormones, or any animal-by-products. ".  With that being said, from village in Sydney that lead an Aussie inspiration brought about to Potts Point Cafe - Organic food has been around the country for quite some time, to be honest, my very first to try what it is like to eat said to be healthy, something said to be sustainable, and the future to what cooking should be.


Their Creed
I would like to first give a clear disclaimer, that what I ever write here are my personal opinions and takes on what was served to us, feel free to comment and I would gladly address those issues or feedback that you may provide. And mind you it's been a while since I have written a food review, I do apologize before hand.

The Beverage Menu

The Ambiance
An open view of their menu, and chef station
The Menu
Potts Point Cafe, located at the 2nd floor South Veranda, Entertainment Mall of SM Mall of Asia, isn't hard  to miss, by entering the cafe, one can get a good vibe, I feel like visiting a restaurant in Boracay, with its beach like charm, tiles, and setting. It's location smack at the view of the coasts or bay side of Manila, and gives you feel that you're in another place for a moment - and make you forget you're in the nation's capital - of chaos. It's a perfect place that you want to bring your date to, on a hot Summer, to dine and watch the sunset without the need of wearing of beach clothes, and enjoy the rustic vibe of this cafe. It is quite rare for me to get this vibe from a restaurant or cafe, and I quite like the feel of it.
Dinnerware in a Mason Jar
Banana Berry Smoothie
Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
I introduced myself to the PR executive Ace Azarraga, who was leading the expediting and quality management for Chef John of Potts Point Cafe, who was gracious to ask the waitresses to lead me to my seat to join other bloggers for this tasting event, 9 meal of their signature dishes or through the degustation of their menu. Our waitress took our orders for drinks, which sadly she couldn't give us her recommendations, I settled a Banana Berry smoothie, I needed something cold, and it was really something that I needed to calm my dry throat from a very hot day. It wasn't too long before the ribbon cutting to launch this cafe, we were served our first meal, though not part of the tasting menu, it was something to fill in our stomachs, and a hint of things to come, it was the cafe's way of welcoming us - It was their Baked Sweet Potato Wedges, seasoned with salt and sugar. I was never fond or did like Camote fries, what I made of it, but after a few tries - made me go, Wow there is hope for me to like something new,  on something so deep rooted at home.
Shakshuka with Organic Pork Sausage and Organic Eggs with Toasted Baguette
A couple minutes in, PR Ace, opened up the appetizers - the Shakshuka with Organic Pork Sausage and Organic Eggs with Toasted Baguette, in which he presented in a small black pot, and when he lifted off the lid, steam blew and it was almost magical, which lead to lead my shallow awe and amazement. The taste it felt like a fancy way to eating Chili Con Carne, with Egg, on a fancy bread - me and my seatmate George, agreed and laughed that all it needed was rice, and it was something I could eat all day.

Cream of Organic Cauliflower Soup with Truffle Foam
Thai Chopped Salad with Grilled Chicken Crispy Wanton and Pomelo
Couple minutes more we were given our Salad and Soup, for the Salad we had the Thai Chopped Salad with Grilled Chicken, Crispy Wanton and Pomelo, and for the soup, the Cream of Organic Cauliflower with Truffle foam was served. I enjoyed the salad more than I had the soup, with the salad, I like the freshness of each ingredient, and the wonderful colors and textures it gave, it was not tiring to the tongue, the salad had a kick of spice, just enough to make you feel a bit of Thai but minus the acidity or the fishiness, salty taste, but all I can say, yes it was good. The soup was a different story, the truffle foam made the flavor heavy, yet it was enough to keep your appetite running, me and fellow bloggers, agreed it look liked more of squash, or pumpkin given the color. It had that first initial taste of something squash, but it took me seconds in to finally taste the Cauliflower - the cream felt like something pureed, that gave me a feel that I am eating baby food, maybe it felt grainy to the tongue.

Salmon Linguine with Capers in Dill Cream Sauce
After two spoons in of my soup, came their pasta, and entree dishes - Salmon Linguine, with Capers in Dill Cream Sauce, the Roast Australian Lamb with Bone Marrow with Brown Rice and Demiglace, followed by their Australian Grass-fed All beef Burger with Australian Cheddar, Pickled Beets, Olive Oil Aioli, and House-made Brioche Bun sided with Baked Sweet Potato Wedges, lastly their Melange of Seafood Provencale with Brown Rice Risotto came several minutes thereafter.

Australian Grass-fed All Beef Burger with American Cheddar, Pickled Beets, Olive Oil and Aioli, and House-made Brioche with Baked Sweet Potato Wedges

Melange of Seafood Provencale with Brown Rice Risotto

When the burger came out, my eyes lit up, but as much I wanted to speed up to that moment, I had to go about tasting their pasta - Wow. Something perfect for the Lenten season, the shrimps, the salmon it was not that overpowering, I read reviews about this dish in their Eastwood branch, and I have to agree, this something you'd want to come back for, and your date would love and enjoy. This is one of the entrees, I reckon. Then alas, Burger!, Burger! - my mind filled with so much imagination, and yes to my delight it hit my expectations and even more - of all the burger joints, I think I have found something I want to spend my pay to, the burger so tender, juicy and the poached egg, made it, just drool re-imagining this experience. Have I reached Burger heaven? No, but close enough that I can say - thank you! I never knew that grass-fed cows would be juicier, and hands down. This is the Man-food on the date.  The Pasta, The Burger, - the two things meant for His, and Hers, should you bring your date over, I really do recommend one must order for that special ocasssion.

Roast Australian Lamb with Bone Marrow with Brown Rice and Demiglace
The Roast Australian Lamb with Bone Marrow with Brown Rice and Demiglace and Melange of Seafood Provencale with Brown Rice Risotto, was sadly disappointing - yes the lamb was tender enough, that a spoon was enough to cut it without struggle, the brown rice was something out of this world, something salty and delicate like the lamb, paired with brown rice was until now left me in a state, where words could not describe to what I felt at that moment, maybe it was the demiglace that killed it, or maybe I am not so used to having brown rice come into my diet, but it was a heavy feeling that my tongue, said "Screw this!". Seafood Provencale with Brown Rice Risotto went to the same fate as its other counter part, and no matter how fresh the clams, mussels, the shrimps on it, the richness of the broth, the brown rice is making me feel like the scene that of the 300, where Leonidas kicked the Persian to the deep well, indeed yes this was madness, and this is brown rice.

Strawberry, Kiwi and Mango Tifle with Light Vanila Custard and Cookie Crumble
Affogato
English Sticky Toffeed Pudding with Vanila Ice Cream
Our day was about to end, after getting to know more of the people around the blogging community, and sharing our thoughts of things and that, desserts were served, much after several minutes - my table group even ordered something off the tasting menu, their Affogato, because the desserts were taking so long, and maybe by curiosity of the photographs of their food hung by their white walls. The Strawberry, Kiwi, and Mango with Light Vanila Custard and Cookie, Crumble came together with their second dessert the English Sticky Toffee Pudding with Vanila Ice Cream, then followed our Affogato. Desserts are always a win, indeed, The fruit cocktail on Light Vanila Custard - was sweet, to bring anyone who has a sweet tooth would get their dream come true on a glass, but nothing came close to how good was their English Sticky Toffee Pudding - yum! and I could imagine how soft and light the pudding was, paired with the Ice cream, it was a perfect between marriage of Brown and white. The Affogato left me in a thought of cookie crumble ice cream, with Filipino locals wafers, mixing it with strong espresso coffee, it was good, but just something to give you buzzed and going but nothing would beat the pudding.

The dishes we tried, at Potts Point Cafe
As the day end, and I want to to give my thanks to the people who invited me, thank you PR Ace, and Kathy Kenny Ngo - looking forward for more meaningful and delightful conversations with. Now to wrap things up - the ambiance is good - like I've mentioned no restaurant has ever given me a vibe until Potts Point Cafe, it's something that you would imagine sitting by the bay side verranda with your date, enjoying the pasta and the burger, and just watch the sunset and chill. Cue in the playlist of Tiesto's In Search of Sunrise: Sydney and yes we have an almost perfect day. The service, I can't blame the waitresses for not knowing what to recommend, and who had to come back and forth when asked what is in the dish itself - I guess it's a newly formed staff but should have briefed the night before of what to expect and tasted what is to be served - I hope this get's improved. It was a slow day, but I can't say, it was their first day. The food, good, light, and doesn't give you that funny taste - there are hits and misses but you can't get them all right.


Must I Feel This Good, in this restaurant, yes to chill, 4 out of 5. Fore more photos, please do check my instagram at naga_jolokai.







Potts Point Cafe - an Aussie inspired, organic food located at the 2nd Floor Veranda, Eastwood Mall, | 2nd Floor South Veranda Entertainment Mall, SM Mall of Asia.

No comments:

The Asylum Photography © 2014